ST ANDREW'S CATHEDRAL:

Overview:
St Andrew's Cathedral is the oldest Anglican house of worship in Singapore and was gazetted as a national monument in 1973.

On 4 March 1856, the foundation stone of the present building was laid by the Right Reverend Daniel Wilson, Lord Bishop of Calcutta. Built between 1856 and 1864, the construction was carried out by industrially trained Indian convict laborers.

In the days before Singapore fell to the Japanese in February 1942, the cathedral was turned into an emergency hospital. Casualties of the frequent bombings were sent to the cathedral to be treated, creating overcrowding in the hospital. Church services in the cathedral resumed after the Japanese surrendered in 1945.


Memorials and Dedications:

In the present day, the cathedral and its grounds contain several memorials and dedications:

1) The stained glass windows in the apse are dedicated to Raffles, John Crawfurd, and Major-General W. B. Butterworth.

2) The window at the cathedral entrance was erected in memory of its designer and architect, MacPherson, while a monument to him stands in the church grounds.

3)Tablets on the north wall, and on one of the pillars on the left aisle, recall victims of the 1915 Sepoy Mutiny in Singapore.

4)The War Memorial Wing is dedicated to those who died in World War II. It was added in 1952 and opened by Malcolm MacDonald, Commissioner General in South East Asia.

5) A memorial plaque unveiled in 1988 commemorates Malayan Civil Service officials who died in World War II.


"The Cathedral Welcome Centre" Opening Hours:
Mondays to Saturdays
9.00am - 5.00pm

Wednesdays
9.45am - 5.00pm

Sundays
9.00am - 1.30pm



Complimentary Guided Tours:
Mondays to Saturdays
10.30am - 12.00noon; 2.30pm - 4.00pm

Tours are not available on Wednesday mornings and Saturday afternoons


Admission:
Free


Contact:
Address: 11 St.Andrew's Road, Singapore 178959
Tel: (+65) 6337 6104


View Larger Map


Please visit St Andrew's Cathedral for more information.


References:
Infopedia. http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_25_2_2008-12-01.html