THIAN HOCK KENG TEMPLE:

Overview:
Thian Hock Keng is one of the oldest and most important Hokkien temple in Singapore. It was visited by Chinese immigrants giving gratitude to Ma Zu (Goddess of the Sea) for their safe voyage.

In 1839, under the leadership of Mr Tan Tock Seng and Mr Si Hoo Keh, the Hokkien clan built the temple in Telok Ayer Street. The construction was completed in 1842. The details of the temple's history are recorded in granite tablets on the wall inside the Entrance Hall.

There is also a plaque inscribed with the words Bo Jing Nan Ming (Gentle Waves over the South Seas) presented by Qing Dynasty Emperor Guang Xu in 1907, evidence of the temple's stature.

The temple was built in traditional southern Chinese architectural style. The entire structure was assembled without nails. It is an architectural masterpiece of stone, tiles and wood, dragons and phoenixes, amazing carvings, intricate sculptures and imposing columns

Thian Hock Keng which is managed by Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan was gazetted as a national monument in 1973. Over the years, Thian Hock Keng has been restored several times. The most comprehensive was in 1998 and completed in December 2000. The project won 4 architectural awards, including the most prestigious award from UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage 2001 Awards for Culture Heritage Conservation Building.


Opening Hours:
7.30am - 5.30pm daily


Admission:
Free


Contact:
Address: 158 Telok Ayer Street, Singapore 068613
Tel: 64234616


View Larger Map


Please visit Thian Hock Keng for more information.


References:
Thian Hock Keng. http://www.thianhockkeng.com.sg/aboutus.html